Monday, January 11, 2010

Big Changes: Long Post

Tim and I are going through some big changes right now. One change being that we are going to be parents soon. Another change being that Tim's job transferred him to California, so we will be moving to California for the next two and a half years. The problem we have been having is all in the timing. Tim starts work in California the first week in February and I wouldn't be able to move out until the second week of February (due to prior commitments) which would have me moving at 8 and a half months pregnant. That wouldn't be too bad if my pregnancy was normal, but for those that know me well, nothing with me is ever quite normal! The pregnancy has been complicated from the beginning and it's a high-risk pregnancy. I see my doctor WAY more than normal (2 times every week) and one of their concerns is that our little girl is going to try to come early or stop growing altogether (which would mean the doctors would take her out immediately), hence the reason I see the doctor so much. Tim and I have struggled and struggled trying to figure out the best plan (moving at 8 1/2 months pregnant, high-risk, pre-term labor, finding new doctor to see me 2 times a week, etc...or staying here) and we don't like any plan we have come up with. However, we decided on a plan that we feel most comfortable with. (Neither of us loves it, but it's the best we could come up with, given the circumstances.) Tim is going to move to California at the end of this month and start work on his new project (and take all of our stuff because we have to be out of our place by Feb.) and I am going to move in with my sister, who lives in Surprise. I will drive the hour drive (one-way) two times a week for my doctor’s appointments. Then when I do go into labor, I'll call Tim and he will get to the airport as fast as he can (he is already instructed to have a bag packed for him in the back of the car at all times!), make the hour flight here and hopefully not miss the birth. So that is what our plan is. Not great, but it's the best we can come up with.
Anyways...About California...I'm not super thrilled about moving there. I am very grateful we have a job, but I'm still not excited about moving! (It could be the earthquakes, fires, moving to a place where I have never been where I know not a soul with a brand new baby, away from family and friends...etc!) But Tim is SUPER excited! Tim is great like that, always up for an adventure. So I am trying to be positive and look for the good things about Oxnard, California. So here are a few reasons why it will be okay to move:
(Oxnard is the big, pink dot.)


1. We will be living about an hour and a half away from Disneyland, three hours from SeaWorld, an hour from Six Flags, an hour from LA, and 35 minutes away from Santa Barbara. (We are looking for a place with a guest bedroom, so anytime you want to come and stay with us, we WANT visitors!)


2. Strawberry Festival: A huge festival in Oxnard in May. I like strawberries. I like festivals. It might be cool. (http://www.strawberry-fest.org/)

3. Tim’s job site will be about 2 whole miles from the ocean! We are looking for places a little further off from the ocean to live, but we will still be an easy drive to get to the ocean! (So we had to get our baby girl a few swimming suits! Thanks mom for the adorable butterfly one!)
Those are all the positives I can come up with for now, but I’ll let you know when I think of more!

12 comments:

  1. Cute suits! I love them! I can totally see where you're coming from about being positive, but I'm sure it will all work out great! We will miss you incredibly bad!!! (why do all our good friends move away?) But we will come visit. Oh and the strawberry festival sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a lot going on when I was pregnant too... I didn't have a high risk pregnancy, but it was pretty stressful. I'm sure everything will work out. Good luck with everything! Oh, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only person on the face of the Earth who's never especially wanted to live in California, but I'm sure you'll end up loving it! Everyone I've ever known does :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I wish we were going to be closer by each other. I guess if Jordan ever travels to LA maybe Ruby and I could go and meet up with you guys. We will definitely pray for you--with the timing of everything. It will all work out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I just saw that you have a blog and I'm so glad! Sounds like your life is super crazy right now! I'm so excited for your baby! I actually became a high risk pregnancy for my mom because it seemed like I stopped growing so they were really really worried, but I came out just fine! So hopefully everything will go well for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay so I thought of a few more reasons for you to be excited:
    4. Kirk and I will be in San Diego (likely next year), which is only 2 hours away from LA- I am picturing some fun weekend trips!
    5. The weather in Southern California really is the greatest- 70 degrees year round (well, almost!)
    6. You have the LA Temple, which I think is the most beautiful temple on the inside- my personal favorite.
    7. You will be surrounded by non-members, which means lots of awesome missionary opportunities.
    8. You will likely be some of the only ones in your ward with a newborn baby and so the members will just eat her right up!
    9. The fruit in Southern California is just better. It is fresher and there are more varieties year round.
    10. You'll probably be able to practice your Spanish skills.
    11. You'll have in-style clothes a year before all of us in Utah!
    12. LA has so many yummy restaurants.
    13. You can plant flowers in your yard no matter what season it is- and they'll be gorgeous!

    Before I got called on my mission to California, I really didn't like the state. But I can honestly say that after living there for 18 months I LOVE it! (except the traffic). It is different, but good for so many reasons. You will always have your little family there and the Lord. No worries Tori! It will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you all the best. Your new area does sound quite nice, but I understand that it is not fun to be away from family. Maybe you can convince everyone to move to you (that is my big plan, I will let you know when everyone else in my family gets on board!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are definately going to come visit. I'm thinking a Disneyland adventure in like a year. Have Tim be on the look out for job openings.Maybe Adam could get a job out there too, not that he needs a job. Just the idea of moving to a new place sounds fun! Hope all is well. We should do lunch sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. UMMMM, You're moving in with me? This is news.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha, just kidding! C'mon Tori, that's the BEST FREAKING PART of this whole thing! "Neither of us loves it, but it's the best we could come up with, given the circumstances." Uh, whatever. Because I'm DELIGHTED!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck to you! I loved living in California if it means any thing to ya :)Enjoy the beaches for us...we miss it! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Tori!

    It's Adriane Wilkins (now Ragan) here and I just want to say Congrats on the upcoming baby! As for Oxnard,CA, my little bro. has been serving his mission there for the past year and absolutely loves it...nice climate, plenty of fresh fruit, and goooood Mexican food! Anyways, best of luck to you guys with the big changes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tori,I just found out that you have a blog.While you are soaking up the CA.sun you can think of us in VT.shoveling snow and freezing.At least Tim has to move all your stuff and not you.Can't wait until your little girl is here and we can see pictures.Bet she will be beautiful and have a head full of dark hair.Take care of yourself and that little girl.Diane

    ReplyDelete