Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Grandpa

The last post I did was about a trip we took to Utah. I will be forever grateful that we decided to go to Utah because it was the last time I was able to see my grandpa. My dear grandpa died last week and my heart is broken, but I am so grateful I got to see him just a few weeks ago. 

My grandpa was/is such a wonderful man. To know him was to love him. I don't have many memories with my Grandpa Sam and my Step-Grandpa Vern because they both died when I was young. But I have a million wonderful memories with this grandpa. 
I spent many summers staying in Utah with my grandparents. I have great memories of trips we took together. I will miss playing games with him (I swear I have been playing Hollywood Rummy with him since I could sit up.) I will miss his whistling and his constant teasing. He would always tell me, "If I didn't tease you, no one else would." He was never without a smile. He was so great to my grandma. They celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary this past March. I really can't put into words how much my grandpa meant to me and what an absolutely wonderful man he was. I can't even pick a favorite memory because there are too many. I really couldn't have hand-picked a better grandpa.  


He loved little kids. I actually called my grandpa on Tuesday morning (he died later that day) to check on him because he hadn't been feeling well. After we talked for a while he said, "Give Mylin and Kale a hug and a kiss from Papa and Grammy....But make sure the biggest hug is from Papa!" 





This past Christmas we went sledding and he wanted to take Mylin for a little walk. I thought it was so cute. 



This is the only picture I ever got of Grandpa and Kale. 


This is the last picture I took of Grandpa. We were at my cousin's wedding reception and he was just chatting away with Mylin. 


The bad thing about always being behind the camera is that I don't get in many pictures. Which is fine...except I don't really have a picture of just me and my grandpa. I have a few family shots with grandpa but not one with just me and him. This is the only one I could find and it was almost eight years ago at my wedding.  

I love my grandpa and I miss him but I'm grateful I'll be able to see him again someday. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Tori....What a beautiful tribute! He is for sure smiling down on our family as we speak! He was truly a wonderful husband, father, grandpa, and papa! We will miss him each and ever single day. Thanks for such a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your mom.... Great tribute! My thoughts and prayers are with all your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear this Tori. I met your grandpa a few times and I think you were right when you say to know him is to love him. He was so nice! I hope your all doing alright.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for this news! But...it seems like he was such a wonderful man and lead a great life. What a fabulous example for you and your children to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your Grandpa, Tori! Those are some great pictures! Hope you're doing okay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. You are lucky to have had such a great relationship with him. My thoughts are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete