Monday, May 3, 2010

Finally!

It has taken me a while to get settled here in California, but here I am. Finally doing a post.


We haven't really done much since we have gotten here. We've gone to the beach a few times. Just to walk around. It's still to cold to actually get in the water.


Mylin turned one month. It is crazy how fast time goes by after the baby was born compared to how slow it went before she was born!




For those of you who don't know, Mylin has a carnatine deficiency. She tested positive for it on both of her newborn screening tests and some other blood work confirmed it. It's very rare, especially in newborns. In fact, both pediatricians (one in AZ and the one in CA) have never had any baby test positive for it in all their years of being a doctor. About 1 in every 40,000 children have this. Carnatine is what makes energy from the fats in your body and fats from the food you eat. It is something that she will most likely have to deal with her whole life. Things have been crazy getting her taken care of with this. She had to get on medicine immediately. (With some frantic calls from her doctor saying if she didn't get on this medicine within 24 hours she could crash. If that doesn't freak a new mom out, I don't know what will!) Mylin has to have a metabolical doctor, which is at UCLA. Apparently they have a fantastic medical center there. We have been there and are still waiting for more tests to come back.


I'm not explaining this very well, but I'm trying to figure a way to link the information the doctor gave me so that you all can read it and understand what is going on. (Ok...I'm not trying to figure out how to do it. My sister is. She rocks. And she's better at things like that then I am!)


So how does this affect Mylin? She takes medicine daily. Long story short, if she takes her medicine she should be fine. If she doesn't take her medicine, it can be life-threatening. So let me tell you...I am a crazy person about making sure she gets her medicine.

Also, because of this deficiency, Mylin needs to and wants to eat more than a normal baby. Because her body isn't making enough energy from fats for her body, she has to get more energy from sugars and proteins, thus she needs to eat more. She cannot go longer than 3-4 hours without food. So during the day and night I have to set alarms for every 3.5 hours to feed her. Sometimes she eats sooner than that. Because of this...she is getting really big!

But I'll keep you updated on our little girl and I'll try to get that information up so you can understand what I'm talking about!

So some things about Mylin:


She is the cutest thing in the world!

She smiles a lot and has the most adorable dimple.

She's a pretty happy baby most of the time. (Except I think she is a little colicky.)

She loves to snuggle.
She's a music snob. Hates Rihanna and Jason Derulo. Cries every time she hears their music! But she will stop crying for David Archuleta, Jonas brothers, and Justin Bieber. She's already a teeny-bopper! Ha! (And I swear I don't listen to all these teen-girl groups!. Just sometimes I do.)

She likes her swing.

She is pretty much the best thing that has happened to me.








13 comments:

  1. I have been waiting forever for you to post some pics of your little one! She is adorable! Can't believe she is already 1 month old..it is crazy how fast time goes. Glad you are settled in in CA..that's crazy about the deficiency..glad you got that medicine right away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mylin is so cute! i've never heard of that deficiency before, it makes me want to learn more about it. glad everything is ok thus far :)
    ~liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad they figured out what was wrong with her so she can stay stable. She is such a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tor- shes the cutest baby ever! i love her! and we miss you guys! cant wait to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tori, she is so cute! Hope you enjoy CA and that all goes well with Mylin's condition. You sound like you are on top of it though! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to squeeze on her! Miss you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness for modern medicine! She is gorgeous. Can't believe she is already a month old!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe she is already one month and i haven't got to see her yet! She is soooo cute. And you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are counting down the minutes until we get to see you guys! Most of us haven't even seen her yet...I mean in my little family:) You can bet Kenz is over the top excited! Mylin is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, this is Sarah Gotfredson from your El Ed program. I happened upon your blog through Jolynn's. Mylin is so pretty! What a dainty little face!

    And I'm so glad that they have medicine to help with the caritine deficiency. I just hope you have enough help yourself from family or friends...you must be dragging as a new mom with that strict wake up schedule. But you sound like you are completely on top of everything. I'm not surprised. :)

    Love the pic of your sweet family at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I am pretty much just commenting to see if my new picture works. It's of my face.

    ReplyDelete